This tutorial is about transferring ownership of a file/folder in Google Drive. We will do our best for you to understand this guide. I hope you will like this blog How to transfer ownership of a file/folder in Google Drive. If your answer is yes, please share after reading this.
Check how to transfer file/folder ownership in Google Drive
By default, you own all files you upload or create in Google Drive. However, if you want to transfer ownership of a file to someone else, the process is simple. That’s how. Before proceeding, it is important to note that once you have transferred ownership of a file to someone else, you will no longer be able to undo the changes yourself. In fact, the new owner can even delete it entirely from the archive whenever they want. Also, you cannot delete the file or share it with others. You might think that changing ownership of a folder is a simple procedure, but it’s actually not that simple. There are exceptions to this. If you are the administrator of your company’s Workspace account, you can change the owner of any file or folder stored in that account, as long as it was created by someone with the same account.
Unfortunately, you can only set a new owner for files created in Google apps. In other words, you can change the owner of Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drawings, and My Google Maps. You can also transfer ownership of a folder, but changing the owner of the folder does not change ownership of files in that folder. However, this does not apply if the original owner is on your company’s workspace account.
How to transfer ownership of a file/folder in Google Drive
From the computer:
Here are the few steps you can take to transfer ownership of Google Drive. Transfer ownership of a single file in Google Drive from a computer. If you are the owner, you can transfer a single file by following these steps.
- Go to Google Drive homepage and open it.
- Here and open the share box.
- Now in the drive, select the file or folder and click on the icon above.
- On the home page, you will see a file, a sheet or different slides. Open the file and click share in the upper right corner.
- Now insert the new owner’s email address in the “invite a guest” box. Here, tap on share and forward.
- Now at the bottom click on “advanced” in the right corner of the share box.
- Now click on the open drop-down menu next to the name of the user to whom you want to transfer ownership of the file.
- Now select “owns” and click Done.
Transfer ownership of all documents or folders in Google Drive from computer
You can transfer control of transferring ownership of Google Drive to different domains if you’re an admin. When the original employer has left your company, it may be helpful to pass ownership of all records to others. If a person leaves the domain and their document is not transferable. If this happens, administrators will keep the account for five days and then transfer the logs. You can transfer ownership of all documents in Google Drive from your computer by following these steps.
- Log in to the Google server account.
- Go to applications > Google Apps > and drive.
- Here& you need to click transfer ownership.
- Complete the Document Ownership Conversion section.
- In the form field, enter the current owner’s username and choose the user’s domain.
- In the “To” field, enter the new owner’s username and choose the account domain.
- Now click on the transfer document to save.
This is how you can transfer ownership of a Google Drive file to another user in Google Drive.
- Open Google Chrome.
- The circular icon in the app drawer is red, blue, green, and black. It is also visible on the home page.
- You cannot change the ownership of a file in the Google Drive program, so you can change it on the smartphone website.
- Go to https://drive.google.com.
- Tap the mailbox. It’s in the top right corner of Chrome.
- Click the box next to the website button. A checkmark appears in the box and the website reloads.
- Tap Go to Google Drive and scroll down. You will find the blue button at the bottom of the window.
- If you are prompted to register and enter your login information now.
- Click and save the preferred file. A pop-up menu appears.
- Tap “Share”. This opens the Share with others window.
- Click Advanced. You will find this tab in the lower right corner of the window.
- Enter the new owner’s name or email address in the Invite People window.
- Press Submit. The chosen recipients are eligible to view the file. You can now see the “Sharing Preferences” screen which should display the name or address of the chosen user in the “Access to whom” section.
- Now click on the pencil button next to the name of the current owner. A pop-up menu appears. Select “owner”.
- Now tap Save Changes. It’s the blue button in the lower left corner of the screen. A new confirmation message will appear informing you that the owner of the file is about to change.
- to confirm and press Yes. The chosen person is now the owner of the file.
Final Words: How to Transfer File/Folder Ownership in Google Drive
Hope you understand this article How to transfer ownership of a file/folder in Google Drive, if your answer is no, you can ask anything via the contact forum section linked to this article. And if your answer is yes, share this article with your family and friends.